Monday, June 2, 2008

...to make up for past wrongs.

I'll tell you what's discouraging. And disappointing. That some folks didn't vote for Barack Obama because he's black. And that others didn't vote for Hillary Clinton because she's a woman. Those ain't good reasons. And it's a sad state of affairs when that happens. Polls in West Virginia indicated that 20 percent of the voters wouldn't vote for a black man under any circumstances. Think about it. One out of 5 are admitting they are racists. Makes me wonder how many others are racists, but won't admit it. I'm not aware if the pollsters determined how many voters shunned Clinton because of her gender. But I'm sure there were some misogynists who wouldn't be caught dead voting for a woman. Funny thing about me. I've voted for some blacks primarily because they were black. And I've voted for some women mainly because they were women. Made sense to me because blacks and women have been given the shaft too often in this society solely because of race or gender. So I'm prepared to give them special treatment to make up for past wrongs. --Jim Broede

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it more poignant that so many, many people voted FOR Senator Obama, only because he is African American, and voted FOR Senator Clinton only because she is a woman. Putting the wrong person in a place of power, for the wrong reasons, can be much more disastrous. I choose my elected official on what I feel are their qualifications, not party lines, gender, or race. "Special treatment", such as the Presidency???

You cannot be for real!

Broede's Broodings said...

I tend to like people who have experienced discrimination. Blacks and women, for instance. Many of them have learned from the experience. People who have been deprived of basic human and civil rights often are more appreciative of those rights. They don't take them for granted. And they turn out quite often to be good leaders, good statemen. Prime examples include Nelson Mandela in South Africa and Vaclav Havel in the Czech Republic. The same might well apply some day to Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. I'm sure it's a different experience for a woman and a black man in American society than it is for a white man. And I suspect that generally it's tougher for a black person than it is for a white woman. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

The "examples" are too few, and far between.
Bill Cosby says it best. He tells it like it is.