Monday, June 2, 2008

...the right to think freely.

I suspect that some people -- especially politicians -- are church-goers and 'religious' because it's expedient. It's one of the qualifications for getting elected to public office. An atheist probably wouldn't stand a chance. That's too bad. But it's reality. I know some atheists. And most of 'em are rather solid people. Quite moral. Honest. Trustworthy. Maybe we have some U.S. congressmen and senators who are atheists. But I suspect they wouldn't admit it publicly. Instead, they play the game. They pretend otherwise. Or they just avoid talking publicly about their religious or spiritual beliefs. And really it's nobody's business. I'm a free-thinker. I believe in god. So I'm not an atheist. But I don't identify myself with any particular religion. I'm independent. I form my own views. Nobody dictates to me what I'm supposed to believe, or not believe. I like things about religions. All kinds of religions. But there also are things I don't like. So I pick and choose. I reserve the right to think freely. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Pete" Stark, he has been a member of the U.S. House of Representatives since 1973, representing a district in southwestern Alameda County (currently the 13th district). He is openly atheist.
You first chastise those who do not openly discuss their religious preference, accusing them of "playing the game", then say, "..really it's nobody's business...".
It really shouldn't come into play, at all.

Broede's Broodings said...

Yes, it really shouldn't come into play. But it does. --Jim Broede