Sunday, June 15, 2008

For my peace of mind...for loving.

Leisure time. It's so important. Good for the morale. So nice to have a break. I've become so much more cognizant of the benefits of leisure time since I retired. It gives me alone time. Time by myself. Time to ponder. To turn within. Also more time to focus on love. Oh, it is a blessing to live long enough to retire. So many of us are spread so thin. So many things to do. So many obligations. So many responsibilities. Sometimes we are doing several things at once. I remember telling Jeanne when she was in the nursing home to focus on only one thing. One thing at a time. To practice having a one-track mind. The more I think about it, the more I think that's the way to live. Focus on whatever one is doing at the moment. Wear blinders, so to speak. Hey, if I have 20 things to do in a day, I have to find a way to tackle one thing at a time. Totally focused on what I'm doing now. Not what I'm going to do next. And when I'm in love, I should be focused on my love. On my affinity with another. On closeness. On intimacy. It feels, oh, so good. Before I retired, when I was working as a writer, my job was on my mind too much. Even when I wasn't on the job. So my attention was divided. It wasn't always totally focused on what I was doing at the moment. And I wasn't making adequate time for leisure. For rest. For my peace of mind...for loving. --Jim Broede

No comments: