Sunday, June 15, 2008

I'd like to be a Dane.

I watched a TV program tonight. About the Danes. A study by the University of Leicester in England lists the Danes as the happiest people in the world. Even far happier than Americans, who ranked 23rd. I guess it has to do with Danish contentment. They don't have excessively high expectations. And their government provides them with the basics of life. And good education. Danes are actually paid to attend school. To attend universities. In other words, you don't have to pay to attend school. And you can proceed at your own pace. As long as you pass your exams. And new parents are allowed to take off from work for 6 months to tend to their children. And they receive full pay during that time. Danes have cradle to grave care. Free health care. And the averge work week is 37 hours. And workers get six weeks of vacation. Of course, Danes are heavily taxed. If you are middle income, you may be taxed 50 percent. But hey, you are guaranteed the basics of life. You have security. You have leisure time. Gives you opportunity to focus on really living. And loving. --Jim Broede

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

posted by broede's broodings..."Of course, Danes are heavily taxed. If you are middle income, you may be taxed 50 percent."
KEY words. Are you willing to be taxed at 50%?? I'm not. I am more for the Government working to make sure the basics are available for individuals and families to get for themselves, and freeing up the $$$ for those who are truly needy of intervention.

Since Denmark's population is approximately 5.5 million, compared to OUR 300 million, I imagine it is easier to manage.

I am all for adjustments to more equalize taxation in the US, but I am NOT for stifling free enterprise, or a person's ability to amass a fortune, whether by inheritance or hard work.

Broede's Broodings said...

I'm thinking more about the Danes tonight. And their happiness. It's because they aren't overly ambitious. Which makes them unlike the stereotypical American. We Americans never have enough. We want more. We are greedy. A Dane settles for less. And in a sense, that's why Danes have more. More happiness. More contentment. The Danes seem to have a better sense of what's really precious. An inner peace. A Dane knows that money isn't everything. Money can't necessarily buy happiness. The middle class Danes don't object to paying high taxes. Because they trust government. To provide them with the basics. With the good life. With health care. With education. With mindful things. The Danes have a sense and appreciation of the common good. Just thinking about the Danes and their society makes me happy. Renews and invigorates my faith in the human spirit. Yes, the Danes are very loving people. --Jim

skericheri said...

The thought of being taxed at 50% does not bother me much. When I first saw it on 60 Minutes, the figure seemed outlandish. Then I realized that I am currently playing 25% of my earnings for medical insurance.

Adding both the cost of medical insurance and my yearly income tax bill together produces a figure that is relatively close to 50%. If the Danes do not have Social Security, real estate and sales taxes, I would come out smelling like a rose.