Tuesday, June 24, 2008

...proud of my country.

I think dramatic change is coming to America. And that makes me happy. Because I don't like the direction America has taken in the past 30 years or so. Much too conservative. And that has benefited the rich. They kept getting richer. And the poor kept getting poorer. Yes, an ever-widening gap between the rich and the poor. And to the detriment of the middle class. We've also waged a senseless and obscene war. And we've run the nation into record debt. Sort of an anchor around the neck of the next generation. But finally, most of us are recognizing that we've been sold a bill of goods. By the neo-conservatives. By the Bushies. By the pilfering corporations. All at the expense of the common good. But I'm sensing in this year's election campaign, there's a mood for change. To a new kind of American dream. A better sharing of the wealth. So that we all benefit. A new sense of mission. And no more preemptive wars. And finally, universal health care. And significantly higher taxes. On the rich. Yes, all this could make me a patriotic American. I will finally be proud of my country. --Jim Broede

No comments: