Saturday, June 28, 2008

Staying power & the written word.

I think that maybe I am a better writer than speaker. Because when I write, I give myself a little more time. To think. Clearly. To give myself an extra moment. To really turn inward. When I am speaking to someone. Directly. In the flesh. It's a little different. The flow isn't exactly the same. There's a difference between a physical presence and a spiritual presence. When I write, it feels more spiritual and less physical. When I speak to someone -- well, it's just different. Hard to describe. I think I feel most comfortable as a writer. More at ease. Because I've always done it alone. In solitude. Maybe that is what makes writing so special. Often, writing feels a little like a prayer. To something holy. Divine. Maybe it's a little like carrying on a conversation with god. In that the best words feel as if they are divinely inspired. It's easiest for me to be naked with the written word. Rather than the spoken word. I can see the written word. It's tangible. Solid. I can touch it. The spoken word often evaporates. It does not linger like the written word. The spoken word is easily forgotten. The written word has staying power. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

I'm in love with words. With language. Words can have so many, many meanings. Even the same combination of words. In a sentence. In a paragraph. In a poem. And so much depends on how the reader or listener wants to interpret the words. Anyway, the words I like best are the words of love. --Jim Broede