Wednesday, August 20, 2008

...better days to come.

I've read about it. Being trapped in an airplane for hours on the runway. Waiting to take off. Hour after hour after hour. Because of mechanical problems. Or the weather. Mechanics try to fix it all. Or one waits until the weather improves. And the passengers are told repeatedly to be patient. The plane periodically seems ready for take off -- only to be stopped by another complication. Yes, dashed hopes. Finally, after 5 hours, the passengers are told that the flight has been canceled. The plane is unsafe to fly. And the 300 passengers debark and the US Airways customer services representative announces, "Stand in line, single file, and we'll try to book you on other flights in the next day or so."

Ah, yes, this happened to me in Charlotte, North Carolina, on July 8, on my way to Germany. I stood in line for 7 hours at the Charlotte Airport. Until 4 in the morning on July 9. And then the airlines gave me a voucher for an overnight room in a local motel, where I stood in line for 90 minutes to be registered.

Yes, my patience was being tested. As I killed 24 hours -- a whole day. A long, long layover in Charlotte. Not my favorite city on a hot and humid day. A horror story. I lived it. And survived. Yes, I was annoyed. But patient. Unusually patient for me. Maybe it was my training as an Alzheimer's care-giver for 13 years. Yes, I've become reasonably patient.

I watched the activity at the airport. A bit saddened by it all. But entertained, too. One lady even went berserk. Had a nervous breakdown. I just told myself that my journey to Europe was getting off to a bad start. And hey, there would be better days to come. --Jim Broede

3 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

IN PURSUIT OF LOVE

I'm off to Philadelphia. From Charlotte. Up in the air. Where I am to catch a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt. If all goes well, I'll be only a day late in arriving. Yes. Lost one day in Charlotte, so to speak. Where it's hot and humid. Anyway, I'm listening to my I-pod. Jazzy music. Called "Healing Garden." I'm musing. About yesterday. When my US Airways flight to Germany was canceled because of mechanical problems. I've weathered the experience. Put it behind me. Because I am trying to live today. Fully. Not yesterday or tomorrow. And here I am. Writing on the plane. Thinking about the moment. Savoring. Writing words. Thoughts. To set the mood. Relaxed. In no hurry. Albeit I'll have only a little over an hour to make the Lufthansa connection. A big, big gentleman is seated next to me. He's reading USA Today. I don't feel like striking up a conversation. Just don't feel all that curious about him. He doesn't look interesting. He's probably in his mid-30s. The flight attendant came by and offered us soft drinks. I took a diet Sprite. Anyway, I'm learning how to feel relaxed when I'm flying. More so the more I fly. Maybe it's because as I get older, I worry less. About what might happen. Because I'm living the moment. Not projecting into the future. Interesting. When I was young, I thought I'd never live to 72. Closer and closer to the end of life. But turns out I've learned to appreciate life more. I've learned to be happy...and in love. Real love. And I'm writing about it. Some 30,000 feet up in the air, I guess. With "healing" music in my ears. Yes, love heals so much in life. It's more than a consolation. It's the big prize. It's life. One doesn't truly live unless one is in love. I'm really in the process of being born again. No, not as a Christian. Rather, in my own way. In pursuit of love. --Jim Broede

Broede's Broodings said...

TO STOCKHOLM

On the shuttle bus ride to the Charlotte Airport this morning I sat next to a woman. An American. Transplanted to Sweden. She married a Swede. She was going home. To Stockholm. Had a nice, friendly chat with her. We parted upon arrival at the airport. But when I was waiting to board the flight to Philadelphia, she tapped me on the knee while I was reading the New York Times. And smiled. She sat down at the other end of the row of seats in the waiting area. Yes, just a nice little contact with a stranger. I'm a little curious about her. Unlike the guy next to me on the plane today. Interesting. That she married a Swede and moved to Sweden. Yes, an act of love, no doubt. I didn't probe too deeply. Not wanting to become too personal. I suppose I should have asked her how she met her husband. And how she liked Sweden. And what she does for a living. She was traveling alone. Now, if she were sitting next to me on the plane, I'd probably probe. Maybe too much. But I am curious about some people -- and not others. Anyway, she's somewhere on this plane. Going to Philadelphia. To catch a direct flight to Stockholm. --Jim Broede

skericheri said...

Jim---I'm sooo sorrry!

Charlie and I have become laid back and countrified after years of living in the sticks. Charlotte is not our favorite place to be on any kind of day.

Learning that you got stuck there has caused conscience pangs. We apologize for riding into the sunset without ever thinking that your plane might have problems. My only consoling thought is that you got to see the skyline at night.

Jim, it was good finally meeting you. You must have impressed Charlie. After reading your blog yesterday, I shared the story of your Charlotte ordeal with Charlie. He expressed his sympathy (as he would for anyone trapped in Charlotte) and then remarked that he hoped they either made your luggage available or that you had something useful in your carry on bag.