Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I like their way of life.

I'm an American. But I think I could be happy as a German or an Italian. Or for that matter, a Tahitian. I could live in so many parts of the world and like it. Because I tend to live in sort of a cocoon. Isolated. I make my own little world. No matter where I live. I recently spent 5 weeks in Germany and Italy. And I loved it. Most of the time was spent in the Italian Alps. Near the Austrian border. And during that time, I pretty much ignored what was happening in the rest of the world. Virtually no English language newspapers. And no TV. Just mixing with the locals in little villages and hiking in the Alps and making love, not war. Yes, a rather idyllic life. More and more, I am feeling like a citizen of the world. Rather than an American. Oh, America is all right. But I prefer places that are more off the beaten track. Where people tend to their local business. And enjoy the environment and the scenery. And thank gawd that they've been blessed with their little Eden. Yes, these people live in Paradise. They don't particularly care about the rest of the world, I guess, because they don't mind living in isolation. Away from turmoil and geopolitics. For the most part, they seem to live at a leisurely pace. Tend to their gardens. And their hobbies. And families. They like me. An American. Maybe because I like them. And their way of life. --Jim Broede

No comments: