Thursday, August 14, 2008

I've been to Paradise.

I went 5 weeks more or less ignoring what's going on in the world. Read an English language newspaper only 2 or 3 times. And maybe saw 10 minutes of English language TV. Yes, that's a nice way to live. Three weeks in Italy. Two weeks in Germany. With a dear, close friend. And relatives. Nice. Nice. Nice. I wouldn't mind living abroad for 6 months. And then 6 months in the U.S. I think it'd give me a better feel for the world. And life. Yes, a life of pleasure. And love. And satisfying my curiosity. I'd be able to do what I like most. To write. And to love. I like to focus on people. Real people. To know them intimately. Only a handful. No celebrities. No politicians. Give me so-called ordinary people. People who enjoy the real pleasures of life. Good conversation. Good food. And the ability to love. Not only people. But life. Well, I've found a meaningful world. Maybe it's relatively small and isolated. Places like the Italian Alps. And small villages. Off the beaten tourist track. But by golly, I've been to Paradise. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

skericheri said...

Jim---It is nice to see you posting again. I've always envied your positive attitude. As a 'romantic idealist' you should know...A bit of imagination can make every place meaningful and every place seem like Paradise.