Sunday, August 17, 2008

Made me feel like a lover.

I'm often astounded by people who dwell in unhappiness. Oh, I know there's such a thing as clinical depression. And some just cannot help themselves. But still, it astounds me. Maybe because I cannot stand to be unhappy for a prolonged time. I don't want to live unhappily. I have to find my way out of the labyrinth. Maybe when I am dying and I am deathly ill, it'll be different. But then maybe it's possible that I'll be happy to die. Knowing that death will get me out of my unhappy state. I think I was born to be happy. And always, I found that love and happiness are one and the same. If I can find a way to love somebody or something, that makes me happy. So simple. I've been blessed with reasonably good health. I understand that if one is chronically ill, it's more difficult falling in love with life. Even if I have a bad cold, I begin to wonder what it'd be like to have a bad cold that never goes away. But I always get better. It's a temporary indisposition. I tell myself I'll feel better in time. And I do. Even when the dearest love of my life was dying of Alzheimer's, I found a way to love. To love being well enough to be Jeanne's care-giver. Her lover, so to speak. Right up to the end. I tried to make Jeanne happy. To make her feel loved. And that made me happy. Made me feel like a lover. --Jim Broede

No comments: