Wednesday, August 27, 2008

...a proud American again.

I feel good about Barack Obama. Very similar to the way I felt about John F. Kennedy in 1960. That liberalism would thrive. That America would be an idealistic country. And keep changing for the better. But my hopes were dashed. Kennedy was assasinated. And eventually, so was his brother Robert Kennedy. And Martin Luther King, too. Well, as I see it, the promise I saw in America crumbled. Our nation went downhill in the 1970s and 1980s and 1990s, and especially since the election of George Bush. Indeed, a sad time. Made me sad to be an American. Even ashamed. But now I sense the tide is turning. I expect Obama to be elected. And I'm starting to feel much like I did in the 1960s, when I was a young man who shared John F. Kennedy's idealism. Could be that I may become a proud American again. --Jim Broede

No comments: