Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I wish for more solutions...

I think everyone in a nursing home should have an advocate and protector. I've seen some very good care in nursing homes. But also some shoddy care. Too often the care is too minimal. Because of understaffing. I more or less lived in a nursing home for 38 months. Overseeing the care for my Jeanne. But I'd also see other patients in immediate need. Without staff on the scene. So I didn't hesitate to help, or to see to it that a nurse or a nurse's aide became aware of the problem. Yes, it's good to have extra eyes and ears that happen to be in the right place at the right time. More volunteers are needed to provide supplemental care. Preferably the patients' friends or loved ones. Then the care tends to be more personalized. And problems can be nipped in the bud. Too often, I saw patients who never had visitors. That's sad, indeed. I wish there were more solutions to those kinds of situations. --Jim Broede

No comments: