Thursday, October 30, 2008

A court jester could get elected.

I know an Italian who dislikes the Italian prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi. I'm shown a video clip of Berlusconi singing. Badly. So bad, it's funny. But it's obvious that Berlusconi is having a good time. And he brags about sleeping three hours a night and making love for three hours. He's 72. And he's a billionaire. My Italian friend gets livid about Berlusconi. Suggesting that he's a disgrace to Italy. That he does harm. But still, I think he's funny. I really think he has a sense of humor. That maybe he's quite aware that at times he's making fun of himself. That he knows he's a buffoon. And so he intentionally acts like a buffoon. Knowingly. To exaggerate. For the sake of being funny. I think he has a good-natured side. He may not be the brightest guy in the world. He may be a bit earthy. But I think he has some charisma. Now, if I understood the Italian language, maybe I'd come to a different conclusion. Because I just see him in physical action. On videos. And often with translations. And unlike my friend, I can take Berlusconi with a grain of salt. Because I'm not Italian. He can do me no harm. I'm sort of getting an idea why so many Italians are attracted to this man. Enough to vote for him. To elect him three times. Italians aren't stupid. But some how, they find this man entertaining. Funny. And I think they find their government funny. Maybe even hilarious. I know that many Italians, too, are furious with Berlusconi. Like my friend. But there's no denying, he's a celebrity. Famous. Yes, maybe a laughingstock. Maybe a joke. I'm thinking that many nations elect their leaders based on personality. Not on issues. They just ask themselves, do I like this guy? Or don't I? If they like him, he gets their votes. That simple. They don't ask what does this guy stand for? The guy -- or a gal in the case of Sarah Palin -- can be a dunderhead. That doesn't matter. That's why democracies often get terrible leaders. But by golly, they're entertaining. We live in times when a court jester could get elected to the highest office in the land. --Jim Broede

No comments: