Sunday, October 12, 2008

Following my destiny.

I decided today to drift back. Into the past. Like 100 years. To 1908. Now that's unusual for me. Especially in the past year or so. I've really lived more in the today than ever before. Not getting too far behind or ahead of myself. Savoring the moment. But I decided to indulge myself. For a few minutes. To imagine what it was like a long, long time ago. My father wouldn't be born yet for another 2 years. And my mother wouldn't climb out of the womb for another 6 years. So many things had to happen. Before they would by happenstance meet. And marry. And give birth to me. It just as easily could have never happened. If just one little thing went awry. They'd perhaps never have met. And I'd never had tasted life. And love. But it turned out well. For me, at least. So, I pretty much believe in destiny. That I was supposed to live. I think that's a romantic notion. Even the fact that I met my Jeanne. And fell in love. And the fact that we had many good and happy and loving years together. And then Jeanne died almost 2 years ago. Of Alzheimer's. Just one of those things. We all die. Sooner or later. But oh, the thrill of being alive. I thought I'd never love again. Not deeply. Like I did with Jeanne. But one never knows. Life unfolds in strange and mysterious ways. The unexpected happens. Here I am. Happy as a lark. And in love. With life. With someone special. I don't know where it will all lead. I prefer living one day at a time. Not spending too much time living in the past. Or in the future. Just today. This moment. Oh, I occasionally glimpse back into time. And I wonder a little bit about the future. But I find that today is the best time of all. Because I'm living it. Following my destiny. --Jim Broede

No comments: