Friday, October 24, 2008

From a carpet to a canopy.

Leaves. Leaves. Everywhere on the ground. Some still on the trees. Also on the roof. I'm waiting for all of the leaves to fall. Then I'll go to the roof. And sweep 'em away. But I have to do it before the first snow. And that may be by Sunday. So, Saturday will be my day on the roof. It's a nice time of year. A colorful time. The leaves make a carpet. Mostly amber. But with specks of red and yellow and an occasional dot of green. Most people around here rake their leaves. And even burn 'em. Albeit, that's illegal. Didn't used to be. When I was a kid, burning was a common practice. Anyway, if the snow holds off until late November or December, I'll mow the leaves. Mulch them. Makes for good fertilzer. I have more trees than anyone else in the neighborhood. So I have more leaves. Doesn't bother me if on a windy day the leaves blow over to my neighbors. But then, maybe some days I get the neighbors' leaves. Leaves have a way of moving about. Oh, so many leafless trees in the winter. But when spring comes. And the leaves bud out. And the birds chirp. Nature gives me a welcome canopy of leaves. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

skericheri said...

Jim---When you are on your roof sweeping off the carpet of leaves, please be careful. Remember that it takes a single mistake to turn a successful climb into a painful fall.