Wednesday, October 29, 2008

So much I like about Italy.

There is so much I like about Italy. Not least being the students. Those taking to the streets in recent weeks to protest budget cuts for education. They've even gone on strike to try to bring about change. Very nice. Maybe Italy has a nice future. A new generation that will bring change and new priorities, new values. In the political, economic and social realms. Maybe they all aren't activists. But it seems that at the university level, they have begun to take education seriously. Another thing I like about Italy. The pace of living. I think it's slower and more leisurely than in America. Shops closing in the afternoon. I think Italians really like to be happy. And I think they have demonstrative personalities. And I like the way they talk. With their hands. One doesn't always have to understand the spoken language. One can read the hand gestures. Oh, I haven't seen that much of Italy. But enough to have a favorable impression. Enough to want to return again and again and again. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

skericheri said...

Jim---You are right about hand gestures...They are a valid form of communication.

Italians are so skillful at using them to make a point that I suspect the ability is genetically transmitted. I'll never be as adept as my parents were their use...but...I'm improving with age.