Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's merely that I'm curious.

In my days as a writer for newspapers, I associated with all kinds of people. To get to know what's on their minds. To write stories about 'em. And some were weird. But interesting. Even big-shot politicians. And criminals. People with way-out opinions and pursuits. My job gave me an opening to many kinds of personalities. I especially enjoyed writing about the civil rights movement in the South in the 1960s. And I even became active in the movement. Maybe that's how I came to my leftist leanings. To this day, I'm a liberal, and proud of it. I don't mind associating with all kinds of people. On the left. On the right. Radicals. You name it. Because people fascinate me. I like to understand what makes them tick. Maybe that's why I find it strange that Barack Obama should come under attack from John McCain and Sarah Palin for having associated with controversial figures such as the Rev. Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayers. They're very interesting people. Worth knowing, I am sure. I'd like to know them. But that doesn't mean that I necessarily share their views on religion or politics. It's merely that I'm curious. --Jim Broede

No comments: