Monday, November 3, 2008

...a contagious disease.

It's a basic problem with America. Many of our politicians can't be civil with each other. We have Republicans calling Democrats un-American. And naive. And terrorist-sympathizers. And then Democrats return the favor. They hurl insults back at the Republicans. It's an unholy war, of sorts. So, if we Americans can't get along with each other, how are we going to make peace with the rest of the world? Look at the presidential election campaign. In many respects, it's a national disgrace. Because of the lack of respect for each other. We have a proliferating number of attack ads. All over the place. By Republicans. By Democrats. Maybe two-thirds by Republicans. But that doesn't exonerate the Democrats. As a liberal partisan, I have done my share of castigating Republicans. Because in my subjective opinion, they deserve it. I think the eight years of the George Bush administration has been a disaster. And I'm afraid that if John McCain wins, we'll get more of the same. And I think his choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate -- well, that's about as bad a pick as he could have made. Maybe I'd go easier on McCain-Palin if they had conducted a respectful campaign. But they haven't come close. So here we are, lambasting each other. Playing dirty pool. Hateful stuff. I'm convinced that Barack Obama has been relatively polite, at least in comparison to McCain and Palin. He keeps linking McCain to Bush. Indeed, that can be taken as an insult. But there is a link. McCain might as well call himself McBush. Yes, I'm playing politics. I'm caught up in the conflagration. I'm just as bad as many of the politicians. But I know it. And I admit it. I don't like this side of me. But I can't help myself. American politics is a contagious disease. --Jim Broede

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way you speak (write) you could/would make one hell of a politician. They all claim their way is the only way, much like yourself. I am pretty sure if you ran for any office the stones would fly. It would be so amusing, I can just sit back and close my eyes and see/hear the mudslinging you would spew. I have just read alot of this blog and have read the hateful things you have said/wrote. It is almost refreshing to see you admit how hateful you are.

Broede's Broodings said...

I'm not hateful, dear anonymous. But I am opinionated. There's quite a difference. And my way is my way. Optional for everybody but me. Anyway, I do tend to take on the hate-mongers and the war-mongers. The only thing I hate is hate itself. --Jim

Maebee said...

At least we don't live in countries where they KILL each other! It's a contest, for Pete's sake. Of course they are going to mud sling-always have; always will.

With the media available, and the ability to dig into one's past in a nanosecond, the ability to "doctor" any image, video clip, or audio clip, the possibilities are endless. It will only get worse, as time goes by. We need to strap ourselves in for the ride!

You seem so very, very disillusioned with America, one wonders why you even stay here. Anonymous is right and so are you, and most people would not see that as a compliment.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you can be opinionated and polite at the same time. Being polite doesn't mean you have to agree with every objectionable thing that's said.

Yet, you like most politician's aren't polite, about it. Which spews hate. "There" is the difference.

Broede's Broodings said...

Oh, I'm polite, dear anonymous. But I also like to poke fun. In a polite way. Don't take me so seriously. Laugh a little bit. I'm laughing at you because you are too serious. Lighten up. I'm telling you that in a polite way. Anyway, let's have some fun. Life is wonderful. Enjoy it. --Jim

Broede's Broodings said...

I tend to practice my opinionated ways in the presence of opinionated people. Gives me a sense of competition. To see which of us can be the most opinionated. I can out-opinionate anyone. I'm the champion. --Jim