Monday, November 3, 2008

On turning the other cheek.

Well, I guess there's no getting around it. Politicians are slap-happy. They slap each other in the face with negative campaign ads. So many of 'em in the presidential election. Mostly from the Republicans. But the Democrats are guilty, too. I'd like to think that if I were a politician, I'd steer clear of a negative campaign. I'd tell folks what I'd do. And I wouldn't besmirch my opponents. I'd let them talk for themselves. And if they slapped me in the face, I'd turn the other cheek. For a while. Eventually, I'd slap back. Maybe that's unfortunate. Because then I've resorted to my opponents' sad and bad tactics. I like the turn-the-other cheek philosophy in theory. But it's very difficult to put into practice. --Jim Broede

No comments: