Friday, November 7, 2008

For the common good.

I wish we had more than two bona fide political parties in the U.S. Every time we have a national election, I have to choose between a Republican and a Democrat. And often, that's not much of a choice. I'd rather stay home and not vote. Oh, sure, there are other parties. But they are insignificant. I'd vote for Ralph Nader for president. But he doesn't stand a chance. This time around, of course, I voted for Barack Obama. Happily. Other times I'll vote for the Democrat because the Republican is abhorrent. I wish we had maybe a half dozen very active and strong political parties. And it'd be all right if no one party actually got a majority of the votes. I'd like to see multiple parties form coalitions to get things done. With trade-offs. Compromises. A working together. For the common good. --Jim Broede

No comments: