Friday, November 28, 2008

I'll keep pursuing happiness.

A survey taker asked me if I'd prefer dying at home or in a hospital. I guess it really doesn't matter. Home or away. I don't give dying too much thought. Because I'm focused on living. I suspect, though, that if I were dreadfully ill, I'd want to die alone. And not be a bother to anyone. Or if I am a bother, that I'm a bother only to those who are 'professionals' at helping one die. For instance, if I had Alzheimer's, I'd want to be put away, and not be visited by my loved ones. I'd want my loved ones to get on with the rest of their lives. The best they can. In a reasonably happy manner. And knowing that I've had a good life. So good that I'm willing to pay the price of dying alone. Meanwhile, I'll be interested to see if there's an afterlife. If not, I won't know it. And if there is, I'll keep pursuing happiness. --Jim Broede

No comments: