Friday, November 21, 2008

Love letters.

I like to write love letters. That's my specialty. To write love letters to one other. To someone special. Every day. Every night. Some writers write poems and short stories and novels and essays and technical papers and treatises. For many years, I wrote articles for newspapers. Feature stories. News stories. Opinion columns. Now I write love letters. A true love letter is meant for only one other. If it's shared with others, it really isn't 100 percent true. I also like to write about love. The concept. Because I want to better understand love. What it really means to love. I could write a book about love. But that's different. Not a bona fide love letter. In my broodings, I often write about love. That has the makings of an open love letter. But a real love letter isn't open. It's shared with only one other. I think that to write a love letter, one really has to be in love. Otherwise, it's fake. A true love letter isn't meant for publication. So, we may never read the best love letters of all time. Only two beings ever saw them. One, the lover. The other, the loved one. Oh, there are exceptions, of course. Letters later found. And published. But publication was not the original intent. --Jim Broede

No comments: