Thursday, November 6, 2008

Man oh man, what a relief!

I'm a believer in the notion that from bad springs good. Inevitably. I can, for instance, think of a long list of bad things that had to happen to my ancestors for me to ultimately be born. To be given life. So from my perspective, I benefited from their tragedies. To the point of being given life. Indeed, I am thankful. And maybe that's what makes me basically an optimist. In the long run, all ends well.

That's why I haven't gotten too discouraged by having to live through the 8 years of the George Bush presidency. It was bad, bad, bad for the American nation. And for the world. Horrific in some ways. A national disgrace. But without Bush, maybe we wouldn't have Barack Obama. He emerged as a decent alternative to Bush. If Bush had been only half as bad as he was, maybe a majority of Americans would have voted for someone else. Maybe even for another Republican who would have been almost as bad as Bush. Fortunately, most of us became fed up with Bush. Yes, he was that bad. So now we've decided we want somebody in the White House who won't be anything like Bush. We want a change. A big change. Man oh man, what a relief! --Jim Broede

No comments: