Friday, November 21, 2008

Yes, one can go home again.

I think it's possible for Alzheimer patients in nursing homes to go home again. For visits. Especially on holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's sad that so many care-givers seem reluctant to bring their loved ones home. Some of 'em tell me they think it'd be too troublesome. Taking 'em back and forth.

But I say, give it a try. For just a few hours. I brought my Jeanne home many, many times during her 38 months in a nursing home. And it worked. I often wheeled Jeanne home in a wheelchair. A six-mile round-trip. Brought her home in the car, too. Usually, for a stay of several hours. Rarely in the wintertime. But often in the summertime. So she could sit out on the lakeshore. We live on Forest Lake.

Initially, I asked the nurses at the nursing home whether it was a good idea to bring Jeanne home. They said, try it. See if it works. And it did. I also had a wheelchair ramp built at home so I could get Jeanne in and out of the house easily. Admittedly, going home again may not work for all. If it doesn't work, don't do it any more. But care-givers may be surprised. It can be a very pleasant and stimulating experience. For the patient. For the care-giver. --Jim Broede

No comments: