Monday, December 22, 2008

About this thing called love.

When I was young, it was difficult visualizing being in my 70s or 80s. Thought I'd never make it. But here I am. At 73, and counting. Lord knows how much longer I'll last. But I marvel at having made it this far. It's a good feeling. But in my younger days, I thought maybe it would be a miserable time. Psychologically. Because I would be so aware that I don't have much time left. That I've already lived the vast majority of my life. But I'm surprised. I don't worry about it. Because I'm learning how to live. One day at a time. In the now. I don't get too far ahead of myself. Or behind myself, for that matter. I make the most of today. I've learned to love. And to know that's the most important thing in life. When I was young, I didn't know that. Either too stupid. Or too naive. I also put things off. Until tomorrow. Or next week. Or next year. Now I live. To the fullest. Which means, happily. And in love. With someone. But if not with someone, with something. In other words, a worthwhile life. I know that's why I was born. Why I was put on this Earth. To be a lover. To taste love. In every fiber of my body. In my spirit. In my soul. If I hadn't lived this long, Maybe I wouldn't have known it. So, I'm a lucky one. Blessed. And if I live another 10 or 20 years, maybe I'll know more. Heck, I'd like to live forever...so I could keep learning. About this thing called love. --Jim Broede

No comments: