Monday, December 29, 2008

I always find a way.

I think happiness is a choice. Available to virtually everyone. So, it's difficult understanding why so many people choose not to be happy. To be downright disgruntled. And depressed. I guess some of the so-called experts say it's due to a chemical imbalance. And that often the answer is taking a pill. An anti-depressant. But I have an inner yearning to be happy. I can't stand to be depressed or sad. It's against my nature. That annoys some people. Sad people. Some of 'em think it's very difficult being happy. Almost impossible. And here I am saying it's easy. Easy for me. Maybe I'm blessed. Because I can't stand being sad. I'm 73. And I'm estimating that in my entire life, I've probably been downright sad for a cumulative time of a year or so. Not a bad ratio. I've had to put up with one year of sadness. That leaves room for about 72 years of relative happiness. When I get in the doldrums, I don't push the panic button. But I do start asking myself, how do I get out of this funk? And I always find a way. --Jim Broede

No comments: