Saturday, December 27, 2008

A mere mortal man, and not god.

I've learned to put some distance between me and the Chicago Bears football team. I keep pulling for 'em. But often I choose not to watch or listen to their games. Because I get too easily annoyed. Upset. Stressed. And that ain't good. The Bears are a mediocre team. Inept at times. They've lost some games they shouldn't have lost. And they've also won some that they shouldn't have won. They were outplayed. But they got lucky breaks. Anyway, here it is. The last Sunday of the regular season. And the Bears actually have a chance to finish 10-6 and qualify for the play-offs. It'll take some doing. Some luck, so to speak. First, they have to win their final game at Houston. And they need to have the Minnesota Vikings lose to the New York Giants. Which is a distinct possibility. But even if Minnesota wins, the Bears still have a chance to make the play-offs. If Dallas and Tampa Bay lose. That's an unlikely scenario. But hey, sometimes the Bears get lucky. Lucky to even get this far. Well, I could spend Sunday glued to TV or the Internet, and keep track of all those games. But I won't. Because it'll be too aggravating. Wishing to control the outcome of things over which I have absolutely no control. So, I'll do other things. Pleasant, non-stressful things. And I'll check what happened after I'm sure it's all over. And I'll accept it. Proving that I am a mere mortal man, and not god. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

Well, the Bears lost. Just as well. Now I can prepare for the baseball season. And psych myself for the Chicago Cubs going to the World Series. Baseball is a sane sport. Football is a mad/insane sport. --Jim