Saturday, December 6, 2008

Yes, the good life.

There's no better way to live than in retirement. And in good health. Combine the two, and one has a winning combination. Oh, I'd like to think I still have the majority of my life ahead of me. But one can't have everything. But retirement and good health gives me an abundance of freedom. More than I've ever had. My time is very much my own. I can stay home and tend to my business. Sit down at the computer and write virtually anything. Or I can travel periodically. And cultivate friendships. Even a love relationship. Sure, my time will run out some day. I'll get sick and die. or maybe just drop dead on the spot. But hey, I'm at 73, and counting. I'm thankful to have gotten this far. I'd like to live forever. But I'll take what I can get. I've become a romantic idealist, a free-thinker, a liberal and a lover. Not necessarily in that order. But once again, it's a nice combination. Makes me happy. Before I retired, I liked writing for newspapers. A nice way to make a living. A way to meet people, too. And a way to learn about lots of issues. Yes, interesting. A way to satisfy my curiosity. But now I don't have to report for work every day. Or do someone else's bidding. I even write my own blog. And I even edit as I please. I think the Italians call what I have La Dolce Vita. Yes, the good life. --Jim Broede

No comments: