Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Yes, that's the common good.

I'm for nationalizing General Motors. Yes, let's have the American government (we taxpayers) buy and operate GM. At no profit. To produce mostly electric-operated cars. The wave of the future. Corporations generally are in the business to make profits. Big profits. Well, that doesn't necessarily serve the common good. Government, on the other hand, should be in the business of serving the common good. To produce and provide the sorts of things that are good for society as a whole. Without a profit motive. We Americans, especially those of us from the poor and middle classes, are bilked by greedy capitalists out to make obscene profits all too often. Of course, GM has been mismanaged and is now asking for a government bailout. Just like the banks and lending institutions. I'm for more than bailouts. I'm for the government taking over. Taking ownership. Of everything from banks to car manufacturers. Yes, even health care. Let's get the private insurance companies out of the business of making profits on health care. Maybe the government also could take over the pharmaceutical industry. Sure beats private enterprise raking in all that dough. At least in countries with universal health care, drugs and medicine come at a much lower cost. And the care is available to everyone, regardless of income. Yes, that's the common good. --Jim Broede

3 comments:

Maebee said...

I'm sorry, Jim, but I am really, really glad that you are not running this country.

Anonymous said...

Jim before I make a statement I would like to ask you a question. It may not be any of my business but I will ask anyway. When Jeannie was in the nursing home was she there as private pay?

Broede's Broodings said...

Initially, yes. She was private pay. Until we spent down our savings. Our nest egg, so to speak. Then I was able to qualify Jeanne for medical assistance. Also, Jeanne's entire social security check went toward her care. --Jim