Monday, January 5, 2009

I cultivate my love.

I ask myself the question, why do I get nervous? I suspect it happens when I'm trying to control the outcome. Of events. Happenings. In the hope that it will put me at ease. Make me comfortable. Like the outcome of a ball game, for instance. I'm trying to create a perfect and harmonious environment. Free of stress. Full of pleasure. And peace of mind. But invariably, things don't turn out exactly the way I want 'em to. Things start to go awry. And so I feel discomfort. Yes, nervousness. So, how do I combat the uneasiness? Well, I recognize that there are outcomes over which I have no control. So, I have to tell myself just that. I am not god. I cannot make everything flow just the way I want it to flow. Oh, I can still affect many things. Many outcomes. But so many that I can't, no matter how hard I try. Simply wishing isn't enough. So, I control what I can control. Mainly, my attitude. One of acceptance. One of living one day at a time. And trying to make the best of it. For instance, every day I wake up, and my first thought is that I'm in love. That gets me off to a rousing start. I forget to be nervous. Maybe because I really have nothing to be nervous about. So, I don't waste my time worrying. About things that might not go right. Instead, I cultivate my love. --Jim Broede

No comments: