Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I think it was the good vibes.

Being an Alzheimer's care-giver for many years was a stimulating experience. And I mean that in a positive way. Because I learned something. A bit about living. I discovered there's something better than drug therapy. And that's to focus good vibes on the patient. I mean always. Daily. Day in and day out. No matter what happens, one just immerses the patient in a loving. virtually stress-free environment. Which is difficult. Almost unbelievably difficult. Because to make that happen, the care-giver has to be rested. Physically. Mentally. Emotionally. One must get above the fray, so to speak. One must learn acceptance. Patience. Almost the kind of cool displayed by Barack Obama when he's under fire. Indeed, that's rare. Fact of the matter is that the care-giver often is confronted by a belligerent and agitated patient. A patient that does crazy things. Upsetting things. Things that you wish never happened. And it's a loved one doing all this. It's a sad state of affairs, indeed. How is one to stay positive through all this? Well, one just does. Easier said than done. Initially, I had to grit my teeth. And I had to wipe away the tears. But I remained steadfast. Eventually, there was a breakthrough. I reached Jeanne. And we got her weaned off most of her medications. She settled down. She sensed that I loved her. And that put her at ease. She knew she wouldn't be abandoned. And the more Jeanne came around, the more I came around. We fed upon each other. Maybe it was just one of those things. Maybe it would have happened no matter what. But I don't think so. I think it was the good vibes. --Jim Broede

No comments: