Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The loss wouldn't upset me.

More evidence that money doesn't buy happiness. German billionaire Adolph Merckle, 74, committed suicide Monday. He jumped in front of a train. Family members said that Merckle became despondent over the world economic crisis, and the fact that he dropped from the 44th richest man in the world in 2007, to a mere 94th richest. His worth declined from $12.8 billion to $9.2 billion. Imagine that. The loss wouldn't upset me. Certainly not to the extent of taking my life. I could still make do with a bit less than what Merckle had left. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Maebee said...

" The loss wouldn't upset me."

Realistically though, wouldn't you be upset, if you lost almost 72% of your worth?? Billionaires have "billionaire" bills. They learn to live on what they have, just as we do.

Broede's Broodings said...

Yes, but I'd adjust, Maebee. Even if I had to learn to live on a paltry few million dollars. Think that would be enough to make me happy. I'm happy now. And I'm just a relatively impoverished middle class American. I'd rather have good health than all the material riches in the world. Guess I'll never know what it's like to be a millionaire. Let alone a billionaire. I suspect it'd be rather corrupting. I suppose if I lost half of my book collection or my birdhouse collection, I'd lament for a little while. Seems to me the most precious thing I ever lost was Jeanne. And I wouldn't have traded her for a billion dollars. She was priceless. But I ain't gonna jump in front of a train or off a bridge because of it. I'd rather get on with life. Because life, itself, is priceless. Especially in love. Anyway, if I thought money was the most important thing in life, I'd spend life trying to accumulate it. More and more of it. Instead, I'll settle for being a romantic idealist, a liberal, a free-thinker and a lover. With just enough moola to get by. And I suppose I could get by on less cash. But it'd be hard to get by on less love. I'm crazy. Crazy about this notion called love. Maybe if I had $9.2 billion I'd give it away. I'd like to think so. But then, I'll never be put to the test. Maybe I'd be in a quandary just deciding how to give it away. It'd be stressful. Maybe I'd pour it into suicide prevention. To help people find ways to love life. Without having money. --Jim