Thursday, January 29, 2009

My gawd!

A woman in California gave birth this week to 8 babies. Yes, 8. All at once. Incredible. They are all alive. Imagine that. Becoming a mother 8 times over. In 5 minutes. Of course, it was by cesarian section. I don't know if that's a record for multiple births. But in 1971, an Italian woman became pregnant with 15 fetuses. Yes, 15. But they were aborted after 4 months. Guess it was virtually impossible for her womb to hold 15. But imagine. Going into labor. And waking up to -- well, 15 sons and daughters. It'd shake me to be the father. But the mother? My gawd! --Jim Broede

2 comments:

skericheri said...

Jim---I think that both the woman in California and the woman in Italy had some "non-divine" intervention that caused them to carry so many fetuses. Am not sure of the status of the Italian woman...but...I have read that the California woman is not even married.

I believe that unmarried women have the right to in vitro fertilization...but have a problem accepting the fact that any physician could behave so irresponsibly.

Maebee said...

Not only is she not married, she already has 6 kids by separate in vitro procedures(as these were), and these births are the remaining of the frozen embryos. The Grandmother now says this woman has wanted babies since she was very young, and that she is obsessed with children. The woman lives with her parents in a 3 bedroom house. It has been stated that there could have been as few as 5 embryos implanted and resulted in 8 births.

I see additions to the welfare rolls, if she is allowed to keep all of them. I feel sorry for the children.