Friday, January 30, 2009

We'd be living in Paradise.

I like Barack Obama's plan to get our troops out of Iraq within the next 16 months. But I'm leery of his idea to beef up our forces in Afghanistan. Sounds like the proposal is to double the deployment, to 60,000 troops. I'm not sure that we have any business being in Afghanistan, period. Seems to me that in the long run, we'd be better off leaving Afghanistan to the Afghans. Let 'em decide their own fate. And let's just mind our own business. Let's stop waging wars, period. And focus our efforts on domestic programs, building a better America. Seems to me that significant numbers of the Afghans would prefer having the Taliban ruling their country. Rather than an American-supported puppet government. Just think of all the money we've spent on wars in recent years. Little wonder we're going broke. We've been pouring money down rat holes. Just think, if all that moola was spent on education and universal health care and the elimination of poverty. We'd be living in Paradise. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

skericheri said...

Jim---You and I disagreed...and...probably still do on Afghanistan.

In my opinion...If enough money had been spent and enough patience had been exercised...Afghanistan could have been turned into a 'poster child' for democracy. (Functioned in a role similar to the one played by West Berlin.)

God...I hope that the opportunity was not squandered by our senseless detour in Iraq. Time will tell.