Thursday, February 12, 2009

If Abe were still around.

Imagine that. Abe Lincoln would have turned 200 today. Had he lived. Chances are, there's no one living today that was alive when Lincoln was alive. We've had a complete turnover. An entirely new cast of characters in this world. I find that fascinating. But I wonder how much different the world would be if we could lengthen the average life span to 200 or 300 years. Doesn't seem so outlandish to me. I've been told that Methuselah lived to 900 and some years. Must have been a pretty good health care system then. Or maybe the environment was cleaner and healthier. Anyway, if 200 was considered the onset of old age, I'd still be a relative youngster. I'd still be working, too. Rather than retired. But one of the biggest benefits would be that we all could listen to the sage advice of Lincoln. Maybe the world would be in better shape. Of course, we might have different kinds of problems. Such as overpopulation. --Jim Broede

No comments: