Wednesday, February 11, 2009

...natural born worry warts.

I do worry about my friends sometimes. It's not good to never ever worry. So, I do some token worrying. To make sure I don't lose the ability to worry. And I think when I worry about friends, it's a useful worrying. Because I worry about their problems and well-being. My friends occasionally drift into spells of anxiety. And then that prompts me to suggest solutions to their immediate problems. By not worrying so much. Instead, let me do the worrying for them. I could be their designated worrier. If I do it, then that frees my friends up to do other things than worry. Makes sense, doesn't it? The other day, I suggested that I be one of my friend's rejuvenator. Then she'd need less rejuvenation if she spent less time worrying. Try to do as I do, I tell my friends. Just do a token amount of worrying. It's a skill. A craft. Something to be retained when a situation arises in which one should truly worry. In a life and death situation, for instance. I want my friends to start thinking about worrying in a funny, lighthearted way. That it's nonsensical to worry when they really don't have a legitimate reason to worry. That means they are worrying for the sole sake of worrying. Maybe it makes some of 'em feel good to worry. But I doubt it. After all, worrying has been known to make some people sick. Physically ill. It affects their whole being in negative ways. Of course, if they don't worry for a long, long time, they may become fearful of losing their god-given ability to worry. They'll just completely forget how to truly worry. And that may put them too much at peace. And out of touch with the human condition. We humans, it seems, are natural born worry warts. --Jim Broede

No comments: