Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The results are wonderful.

Most days, I can choose my focus. Not every day. Like today, I'm going to my tax man. To prepare my tax returns. I'd just as soon not do this. But I have to take care of it sooner or later. So, I've been busy collecting information. And it's sort of a headache. I don't like to do this. I'd rather be doing something else. But hey, after I finish with the tax man, I can pick and choose what to do. And I'll find something more to my liking. In other words, I'll salvage the day. And I'll still have a sense of accomplishment. Because I have to file a tax return. And hopefully, I'll get a refund. But maybe not, too. Whatever. I'll adjust and live with it. Anyway, I'm retired. Have been for 10 years now. That allows me some flexibility. In terms of free time. I don't have to report to work. I'm unemployed. But I'm able to make ends meet. Because I have social security and a pension and a little bit of savings and a home and good health. And it helps that I'm in love, too. That's a real big bonus. Oh, I'm not happy with everything. With the state of the economy. With some political and social matters in this world. But I have no or very little control over this stuff. So I've learned to accept it. And to moreorless live quite happily in my little niche in the world. One might call it a cocoon. A haven. At times, I even refer to my environs as Paradise. It's relatively easy to have Paradise when I live one day at a time. I shut out yesterday and tomorrow and focus entirely on today. Didn't always do that. But hey, I do it most days. And the results are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. --Jim Broede

No comments: