Thursday, February 19, 2009

Therefore, I have everything.

I have more than I need. Always have, I suppose. I mean in terms of material things. Possessions. I’m not considered rich or wealthy. Maybe a middle class American. Even in these so-called difficult economic times, I’m really not hurting. I have a nice roof over my head. I’m able to pay my bills. I have health insurance. Just in case I get sick. I’m able to travel a little bit. I eat well. I have more clothes than I can wear. Far more books than I can read. More recorded music than I can listen to. I have a computer. And the ability to write. I have a fair amount of freedom. In that I’m retired, and so I don’t have to report for work. So, I suppose I have no reason to complain. But still, I do. About lots of things. See, I’m never fully satisfied. Albeit, I’m happy. With my general lot in life. But I look around. At the world, in general. And I think things could be better. If only we shared more. If there was a more equal distribution of wealth. After all, I have more than I need. I could spare some of it. I do, to some extent. But not as much as I could. I’m probably like most people in that regard. A bit selfish. Maybe because I live too safely. I want to hold something in reserve. For tomorrow. Yes, maybe it’s a form of greed. This idea to accumulate more than one really needs. Like the millionaire who feels it’s not quite enough. So he’s driven. To become a billionaire. Always, we want more. I want more, too. More life. Longer life. I’d like forever. And then I just have to remind myself. I have today. This moment. A beautiful moment. A recognition that I have life. Therefore, I have everything. –Jim Broede

No comments: