Saturday, March 7, 2009

The polka saved the day.

I like baseball. But it also can be a boring game. Like today. I sat through an exhibition game in Arizona. Milwaukee beat the Cubs, 2-0. It was a boring game. For many reasons. It was just an exhibition game. And the players didn't have their hearts in the game. They just went through the motions of playing baseball. They really didn't play with fervor. They were just out there to exercise. I don't think the score really mattered. I thought that the players just wanted to get the game over. These exhibitions are just a tune up for the regular season. So the outcomes are meaningless. Doesn't matter if one wins or loses. Fortunately, I brought along Saturday's New York Times. Which I read between innings. Mostly, the editorial page. Interesting stuff. More interesting than the game. But hey, I had a nice seat. A bit to the right and behind home plate. In the shade. And the playing field looked nice and green. It was a home game for the Milwaukee Brewers. To liven things up, after the 6th inning there was a race betweeen people dressed up as a bratwurst, a hot dog and a Polish sausage. The bratwurst won. And during the 7th inning stretch, everybody sang "Take me Out to the Ballgame." And that was followed by the Beer Barrel Polka. The songfest was more entertaining than the ball game. --Jim Broede

No comments: