Sunday, March 1, 2009

How to become more with it.

Too many Alzheimer care-givers make their patients the priority rather than a priority. I think that’s a big mistake. If everything is focused on the patient, the care-giver is likely to be overwhelmed. Exhausted. Mentally. Emotionally. Physically. That’s why so many, many 24/7 care-givers have breakdowns. They don’t get the necessary respite. If the care-giver has multiple priorities – well, that can be a form of relief. For instance, taking time out for exercise. A daily walk. Or by taking time with another family member or a friend. Maybe by reading a book or listening to music. Or by gardening. Or by having a pet dog or cat. Yes, by making time for other activities. By giving life some semblance of balance. And if that’s impossible, maybe it’s time for the patient to go into assisted living or a nursing home. That’s what I did with my Jeanne in the last 38 months of her life. Put her into a nursing home. I still spent 8-10 hours a day with Jeanne. But I had time for a daily break. I didn’t have to be a 24/7 care-giver with a single priority. Thing is, multiple priorities made me a much better care-giver. A better human being. I became more balanced, more rested, more with it. –Jim Broede

No comments: