Monday, March 2, 2009

Even better than writing it.

I sort of feel like I'm on vacation all the time. Yes, that's an advantage of being retired. I don't have to report for work. I can do pretty much as I please. Within reason. I have to live within my means, for instance. Most days, I have lots of flexibility. Especially because I think I live in Paradise. Doesn't matter where I am at a particular moment. It's Paradise. Right here in Minnesota. Even in the middle of winter. Even when the temperatuire dips below zero. Even when we are belted by a snowstorm. I'm also able to travel a little bit. Like going to Arizona this month. Staying with my daughter. And going to Chicago Cubs exhibition games. And in April, I'll be going to London. And Wales. And this summer I'll be home. In Minnesota. Living on a lake. And hosting a wonderful visitor from Italy. So, yes, it's the good life. The happy life. La dolce vita. Of course, I count my blessings. I'm 73. And still healthy. Wonderful that I've lasted this long. Long enough to retire. And to pretty much pursue what I want to pursue. I earned a living as a writer. And I still write. For pleasure. And I live one day at a time. Savoring. Savoring. Savoring everything. It's like living in a novel. In a wonderful story. That's even better than writing it. --Jim Broede

No comments: