Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lovers find ways to be happy.

I like love stories. And I believe wholeheartedly in love. And I get criticized for that. By people who think love is a lot of malarky. They say I'm a Pollyanna. But I think it's possible for everyone to be in love. With somebody or with something or other. Maybe it's with another human being. Or a creature, such as a dog or cat. Or with books. Or with learning. But best of all, with life, period. I know of a lady. A fulll-time care-giver for her mother, who has Alzheimer's. And she has decided to get a dog. A puppy. Mainly, I gather, as a diversion. She needs love. Affection. And she thinks she can give and receive it from from a dog. Her mom is agitated and belligerent. Out of sorts. Sadly, not much love there. And lots of stress. Some of the care-givers acquaintances are taking her to task for taking on the added responsibility of caring for a dog and her mother at the same time. They call it irresponsible. But I've encouraged the woman to get the dog. Because the dog will give her a love break. Daily. Just what she needs. It could make her a better care-giver. Because lovers tend to be good care-givers. Lovers exude love. Lovers feel better about themselves. Lovers find ways to be happy. --Jim Broede

No comments: