Thursday, March 26, 2009

...makes my life worthwhile.

My 13 years as a care-giver to my beloved Jeanne was a valuable experience. I learned so much. I'm better for it. In other words, it wasn't a lost 13 years. Something was gained. I learned new and better ways to love. I wish Jeanne never had Alzheimer's. I wish Jeanne were still alive and well today. In a sense, she is. In a spiritual way. Anyway, both of us learned to cope. With life. With the twists and turns. The ups and downs. During the toughest of times. We constantly renewed our love vows. We found ways to stay reasonably positive. By finding something to savor almost every day. No matter how small. We still had each other. In meaningful ways. For that matter, we still do. From our almost 40 years of life experience together. I know that many care-givers lament. They say the disease sucks. And it does. But life doesn't suck. It's wonderful. My time with Jeanne is what still makes my life worthwhile. --Jim Broede

No comments: