Wednesday, March 11, 2009

So much to do in Paradise.

I was turned on today by butterflies. All kinds of butterflies. Maybe 20 kinds. Flitting about in a screened outdoor pavilion at a desert botanical garden in Phoenix. I think a butterfly landed on my head. And I had to be careful not to step on one. I certainly didn't want to shorten a butterfly's life. Most of 'em live for only 4 weeks. The longest-lived butterflies make it for 6 months, or so. I also learned that butterflies don't have ears. But they feel sound waves with their wings. Anyway, I came to Arizona to take spring training with the Chicago Cubs. To watch exhibition baseball games. But the Cubs had off today. So I went to the desert botanical garden. Quite a place. Not only did I see cactus and butterflies, but an intriguing display of Dale Chihuly's handblown glass art. Trees of colorful glass were blended into the desert garden environment. I was awestruck. By it all. The glass. The cactus. The butterflies. I'm returning to the botanical garden Friday night. For a concert of soft jazz. A nice way to cap the day after watching the Cubs play baseball. Oh, so much to do in Paradise. --Jim Broede

No comments: