Saturday, April 11, 2009

Life doesn't seem like work.

Baseball is full of mistakes. Errors. Physical errors. Mental errors. And oh, so much failure. Even the best hitters get hits only about one-third of the time. So many, many times they don't reach base. And it's also very much a game of chance. A good swing and a hard hit ball doesn't guarantee a hit. Unless it's out of reach of a fielder. And a game can have so many turning points. And heartbreak. On Friday, my Chicago Cubs blew a ninth-inning lead, and lost. But tonight, the Cubs rallied for two runs in the 9th and came from behind to win. And a baseball season is long. Some 162 games, plus the playoffs for the best teams. I've always been enamored with baseball. It reminds me so much of life. Ups and downs. Good games. And bad games. Success and failure. But it's the record over the long haul that counts. And there's a game to play almost every day. If I had the skill, I would have enjoyed making my living as a professional baseball player. Yes, playing a game. Beats working. But then, I'm not sure that I ever worked. I'm playing the game of life. And that doesn't seem like work. --Jim Broede

No comments: