Sunday, May 24, 2009

And not least, how to savor life.

The blog. It's a nice invention. Gives everybody a say. A place to sound off. A forum. I use the blog as sort of a public journal. One that I control. Within reason, of course. Gives me a sense of freedom. Seems to me that many people tend to be reclusive. They don't open up. Maybe I used to be that way. In my younger days. But now I tend to be more bold. Not afraid to approach strangers. And get to know 'em. That's why I like to travel. To other countries. To meet people of different cultures. Different backgrounds. Even when we don't speak the same language. I've used interpreters. Often, this makes for round-table conversation. Because interpreters get involved. And I do learn a little bit of the language. Albeit, never enough. Oh, if only we had a universal language. It would bring so many people closer together. The next best thing is to learn multiple languages. We need to start teaching foreign languages earlier. In kindergarten. And make the language classes mandatory. I'd also put emphasis on teaching about other cultures. And appreciation of the fine arts. And philosophy. And about the notion of love. And not least, how to savor life. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Bill Chapman said...

"Oh, if only we had a universal language. It would bring so many people closer together."

I think you are looking for Esperanto, the planned international language.

Take a look at www.esperanto.net

Let me know what you think.

Broede's Broodings said...

The problem, Bill, is that there aren't all that many people that speak Esperanto. In my travels, I'd find far more people who speak English than Esperanto. --Jim