Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I met the real John Knox.

I like traveling. Especially in an English-speaking country. Knowing the local language makes a big difference. More opportunities to communicate. Directly. Effectively. Lots of the world problems would be solved. If we spoke a common language. A universal language. I've just returned from Scotland. Of course, many Scotsmen speak with a brogue. And I speak with an American accent. But we each have a basic understanding of English. So nice. I can approach almost anyone. And satisfy my curiosity. Like about the man walking his dog along the waterfront in Edinburgh. The dog approached me. As if to say, "Let's become acquainted. Maybe even friends." I thought it was a good idea. Maybe the man initially thought his dog would be a nuisance. Perish such thought. I asked him for his dog's name. Jill. Interesting, isn't it? We don't hesitate to ask the name of a pet. But we hesitate asking a stranger's name. Anyway, we conversed. Strangers getting to know each other. A little bit. Turns out he's a retired Methodist minister. Age 74. A year older than me. I kidded him. That he's ancient. And I'm a youngster. We talked about our common ties. Such as life after retirement. We're both busier than ever. He has meetings. Speaking engagements. And time to walk Jill. And I have time to travel. And to cultivate a loving relationship. Yes, actually fall in love. He likes my upbeat outlook on life. After all, religion and love have something in common. Love is what life is all about, isn't it? I conclude that he's an amiable man. Open to friendly philosophic discussion. On our very first meeting. Brought about by Jill, the friendly dog. Had the man still been on the pulpit, I'd likely have gone to listen to a sermon. And if I lived in Edinburgh, maybe I would have cultivated a lasting friendship. From a chance meeting. Of two strangers. Our paths had crossed. Maybe by coincidence. Or perhaps, grand design. As we parted, I suddenly realized I knew his dog's name. Not his. "Give me a name," I said. "John Knox," he replied. Yes, it was the same as the famous Scottish clergyman John Knox (1510-1572), leader of the Protestant Reformation and founder of the Presbyterian denomination. And I thought, to me, the real John Knox is the man I just met. Walking his dog. A wonderful real-life experience. One to remember. Forever. --Jim Broede

No comments: