Monday, May 4, 2009

Love is not having to say goodbye.

I'm not good at saying goodbyes. At train stations. Or at airports. Especially in public places. That hampers my style. And so when I say goodbye to anyone close to me, I hesitate. I'm a bit stilted. Not flowing smoothly. Uncomfortable. Maybe it's the same reason why I can't dance. It's done so often in public. Almost as if on stage. Used to be I'd be nervous if I had to do public speaking. Still would be a little bit nervous about that. But not nearly as much as before. Practice, I guess. Makes it more easy. In the physical realm I feel a bit inept, a bit self-conscious. Performing. Unless I'm by myself. Alone. Easier to run and exercise when I'm alone. Or to sing. While I'm alone in the shower. And maybe I even write better and think better in solitude. Anyway, I was talking about saying goodbyes. Just the thought of saying goodbye makes me sad. I don't want to say goodbye. Ever. I don't want something happy and joyful to end. Albeit it, most goodbyes are temporary. The worst goodbye is the goodbye that comes with death. The physical parting. But still, there's a connection. A spiritual tie that remains. Forever. Fortuanately, my kind of goodbyes are full of life. We really aren't saying goodbye. And so there's no reason to make a big deal of a parting at a train station or an airport. It is what it is. Really, love is not having to say goodbye. --Jim Broede

No comments: