Sunday, May 10, 2009

I refuse to be diverted.

When I was walking along the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, I consciously left my camera in its carrying case. I didn’t pull it out. Even once. Because I truly wanted to absorb what I was seeing, what I was experiencing. I didn’t want to interrupt my vision with modern technology. We have the tools to record virtually everything. Every movement. Every experience. And if in doing so, I wonder if we miss living the experience. Feeling it totally from inside our being. Oh, we can replay it. With pictures. Over and over again. But still that isn’t living it. Seems to me that we live it only once. And if we are so busy recording the experience for posterity, I wonder if we miss something. I want to live it from within. And I refuse to be diverted. By technology. –Jim Broede

No comments: