Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stomach-wise, I'm a German.

I tried not to spell my name in Scotland. Instead, to just pronounce it. I have the German spelling. Broede. Pronounced just like the Scottish Brodie. I found it convenient to be mistaken for a Scottish Brodie. There are lots of 'em. A whole clan. With their own plaid pattern. In the Edinburgh phone book, there's almost a whole page of Brodies. And I came across a Brodie guest house and Deacon Brodie's Pub on the exotic Royal Mile. Of course, I look more German than Scot. I tried to talk with a Scottish brogue. But that was impossible. I thought about wearing a kilt. And I would have liked to take bagpipe lessons. Though I have no musical talent. I can't even sing. There's a Scottish sausage known as haggish. Containing stuff you don't want to know about. But I didn't have the guts to eat it. Give me German bratwurst instead. So maybe I have to confess. Stomach-wise, I'm really a German. --Jim Broede

No comments: